How to wash a memory foam pillow
As a material, memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic, meaning that it’s resistant to problematic critters like dust mites. However, while your memory foam pillow doesn’t need to be cleaned as often as a standard pillow would, it will still need to be thoroughly washed at least once a year to keep it smelling and feeling fresh and hygienic.
Why do I need to clean my memory foam pillow?
You lay your head on your memory foam pillow for hours every night, so it will come as no surprise that it accumulates quite a lot of irritants as the months go on, namely dust and dead skin cells. Cleaning your memory foam pillow will get rid of these irritants, boosting your chances of getting a comfortable night’s sleep.
Is there an easy way to clean my memory foam pillow?
Fortunately, there is an easy way to give your memory foam pillow a quick clean. Simply remove any covers from your pillow and place it into a sink. Then run warm water through your pillow and continue this until it comes out clean on the other side.
Is there a way to clean my memory foam pillow without getting it wet?
While it’s essential to get your memory foam pillow wet for a deep clean, it is possible to freshen it up using just a bit of baking soda. Sprinkle the baking soda all over the pillow and leave it for about an hour. Then use a hand-held vacuum to remove any excess powder and your pillow will be left feeling and smelling fresher.
How can I remove stains from my memory foam pillow?
To stand the best chance of removing a stain from your memory foam pillow, try to follow these steps as soon as the spillage happens:
- Dip a clean cloth into a mild detergent solution and gently rub the stain.
- Be sure to move the cloth around so you’re always using a clean section, or you’ll just end up moving the stain from one area to another.
- Once you’ve managed to get rid of the stain, remove any excess soap with a damp clean cloth.
Is there anything I shouldn’t do when cleaning my memory foam pillow?
There are a few things you shouldn’t do when cleaning your memory foam pillow:
- Don’t be tempted to put your memory foam pillow in the washing machine, as there’s a strong chance this will break up its padding and make it less comfortable to sleep on.
- Don’t put your memory foam pillow in the dryer for the same reason.
How do I dry my memory foam pillow?
It’s best to leave your memory foam pillow to dry naturally. However, if you do need to quicken the drying process, use a hair dryer on a cool setting. Be sure to let your pillow dry completely before using it, so keep in mind this could take a couple of days.